The League of Women Voters takes action on an issue or advocates for a cause when there is an existing League position that supports the issue or speaks to the cause.
The League supports:
- Efforts to determine housing needs of the Flint community.
- Assurance to all persons displaced by government actions that there be adequate and appropriate housing available to them prior to date of displacement; recognition of special needs of poor, elderly and racial minorities.
- Notification in a uniform manner of persons' impending displacement; advising in layperson's terminology of legal rights and available services.
- Wide dessemination of information about Certificate of Compliance - its role in property transfer, its meaning, how it is secured, and meaning of waiver.
- Legislative amendment to the City Ordinance which would require that when a Certificate of Compliance is waived, all defects of the property should be listed in layperson's terminology and presented to buyer.
- Offering of personalized services and compensatory housing programs of public agencies to persons being displaced by governmental actions.
- Periodic independent evaluation of public agencies concerned with relocation to determine effectiveness, with results publicly reported.